Become a registered user
Becoming a registered user gives you access to IPONZ’s case management facility that will help you manage your intellectual property (IP) via our website. There are no joining or maintenance fees.
There are two steps to become a registered user of IPONZ’s services.
- Step 1: Create a RealMe logon
- Step 2: Create an IPONZ account
You need to have a logon in order to use IPONZ's case management facility. If you already have a username and password with other Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment websites such as the New Zealand Companies Office you will be able to user this to access our site.
Important - More than one logon per user for IPONZ's case management facility may restrict access to cases associated with the various logons.
To log on with your logon:
- If you already have a logon, from the Do it now tab select Log on and enter your username and password details.
- To create a logon, from the Do it now tab select Log on and then select Create Your RealMe Login now button from the RealMe login screen.
Once you have successfully logged on, the IPONZ website client validation screen displays.
You now need to complete a few more details to finish setting up your IPONZ account.
Select the option that best describes your situation:
From the validation screen you need to tell us who you are and how you would like to set up your IPONZ account.
Select the option below which best describes you:
- I am a new user with an activation code from my organisation.
- I am a new user representing myself.
- I am new user representing an organisation.
- I have applied to IPONZ before but don’t have a current login.
If you have received an activation code via email from IPONZ - it is because your account administrator has set up an IPONZ account for you that is linked to an organisation, for example, your employer.
What is an activation code?
A system generated code sent via email from IPONZ. The email will contain an activation code for you to complete the registration process.
To complete the registration process:
- Enter your activation code in the Input activation code field then select Continue.
When you use this option your name and email details display. All you will need to enter are your own personal details and then your registration is complete.
You can still use your IPONZ login to file documents on your own behalf. When using an online service you will be prompted to confirm which role you are acting in - either for your employer or for yourself.
Select this option if you are a new and wanting to create an account to maintain your own IP rights.
You will be required to enter your personal details.
Then you will need to create your public profile. This will become your default client details for applications and submissions.
Note - it is a requirement to have a New Zealand address for service for owning IP in New Zealand. Add addresses, such as physical, postal and your address for services in the Edit Address field. Select Save then Submit.
You will receive a confirmation Info box.
Select this option if you are new and wanting to create an account to establish and maintain IP rights on behalf of your employer.
You are creating a new account for your organisation so you will automatically be assigned as the Administrator for the organisation’s account.
First, create your profile then create the profile for your organisation. Note – New Zealand Company information is automatically entered from the Companies Office Register and.
For more information about creating accounts see how to create and maintain a user.
(This option also applies to agents, acting for applicants/owners that do not have access to IPONZ's online services.)
Select this option if you already have applications or IP rights with us. You will need to request to be linked to your existing IPONZ account.
To link to your account:
1. Select I have applied to IPONZ before but don't have a current login.
2. Create your private profile by entering your details in the User Edition fields. Note – this information only relates to your personal website account.
3. Select Submit. Your private profile will be created, you will be taken to the Request to be linked to existing client page and a confirmation Info box will appear. Select OK to close the box.
4. Search for your client record(s) by entering your criteria in the Search Client fields. The select Search. Records matching your criteria will display.
5. Choose your client record then Select. The Request to be linked to existing client screen will display.
6. Select Request to be linked to this client and upload a complete Client Access Authority form. Select the link to download the form.
7. Select Submit. You will return to the Search Client screen and a confirmation Info box will appear. Select OK to close the box.
IPONZ will process your request within one working day.
Once the link is created to your account you will be able to access all your IP records.