Filing evidence online
New online service to simplify filing evidence.
The Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) has introduced new online functionality to stream-line the evidence filing process.
Why should you use this online evidence filing service?
- It is convenient – you can file you evidence anywhere – anytime;
- The information is captured in real time and you receive acknowledgement of your filing via email;
- It will enable you to retain your original evidence documentation;
- It will save you time, paper and courier fees;
- It is flexible – you can file any images, sounds or animations in electronic format; and
- It will allow IPONZ to more effectively and efficiently handle your evidence.
How does it work?
New online document types have been introduced to the online correspondence facility as follows:
- Trade mark evidence under section18(2) and 26(b)
- Hearings Evidence (Patents, Designs or Trade marks)
All clients filing evidence are asked to also upload a filing schedule with the filing, so that on receipt of evidence the Office can verify the documentation filed, immediately identify missing documentation and contact the client for this information.
Statutory declarations, affidavits, affirmations and exhibit sheets may be submitted in black and white.
If your trade mark is a shape, colour, or has a special font (for example a business logo), then ensure exhibits showing use of the mark, contain clear images of the trade mark.
- Shape mark images must show all perspectives of the mark, namely top, bottom, front, rear, and side.
- If colour may be a factor relevant to the registrability of the trade mark, exhibits should be in colour.
- Images of colour trade marks must be submitted in colour.
- If you are in doubt, always file exhibits in colour.
Clients filing magazines as exhibits should include the front cover, any page(s) indicating the publication date and clearly identify the relevant pages showing use of trade mark, or only submit relevant pages showing use of the trade mark.
Your evidence may be submitted using any of the following file types:
- JPEG, GIF, TIFF, Word or PDF files (Note: IPONZ’ preferred file type for an image is a JPEG)
- Sound trade marks: mp3, wav, cda or wmv
- Animation and audio-visual files: .mov or .mpg or .mpeg
Who can use this online service?
Anyone who wishes to file evidence can use this online service. You do need to be a registered user to access this service, which is easy to obtain via the IPONZ website.
Further information on how to register as a user.
Note: There is a maximum file upload size of 21MB per document. If your evidence file is larger than 21MB, please file the evidence as multiple files.
What do you need to use this online service?
Nothing, there is no need for any special software. Check out our optimum software and site settings for more information on how to optimise this service.
How do I find out more about evidence?
Read more on general information relating to the filing of evidence under sections 18(2) and 26(b).