Nice classification 10th edition
19 December 2011
The tenth edition of the International (Nice) Classification of Goods and Services for the purposes of the registration of trade marks will come into effect on 1 January 2012.
How will this change affect applications?
- Applications filed up until 23 December 2011 must be in accordance with the ninth edition.
- Due to the Christmas holiday period, applications filed from 24 December 2011 until 3 January 2012 will receive a filing date of 4 January 2012. These applications will need to be in accordance with the tenth edition of the classification of goods and services.
- Some classifications have changed, for example, the classification of dietary and nutritional supplements in class 5 (previously classes 29 and 30); nappies in class 5 (previously 16 and 25); game consoles in class 28 (previously class 9).
Can I apply to have my application convert from the 9th to the 10th edition?
Yes - trade mark applicants and owners of trade marks under earlier editions of the Nice Classification may apply to the Commissioner for conversion to the tenth edition under regulation 139 of the Trade Mark Regulations 2003.
The IPONZ online trade mark search and application facilities will be updated to cater for the new edition. The Practice Guidelines on Classification and Specifications will also be updated.
- For detailed information about the tenth edition please see the final report of the WIPO Committee of Experts for the classification of goods and services.
- Make an application for conversion to the current nice classification