How to apply for a patent
Before you apply for a patent it is a good idea to search to see if your invention already exists. Because the application itself requires legal and technical information, we also recommend that you understand the requirements and gather relevant information before beginning your application.
Finally, you’ll also need to decide where you want to gain protection. This will affect which application pathway is best for you.
Below are links to pages that will help you prepare your application.
- Searching for existing patents
- What is a patent specification?
- What makes up a patent specification?
- Which patent application is right for me?
- Preparing to file an application
- How to complete an online application
You can find more information about patents on our What is a Patent? page.