Patents Act 2013
The Patents Act 2013 will commence fully on 13 September 2014 (although some parts of the Act are already in force). Over the coming months IPONZ will be preparing to implement the new Act. One of the most significant areas to be developed is new patent regulations.
A timetable of some of the main steps to be taken in developing new regulations are set out in the table below:
The development timeline for new patent regulations
Public consultation period on proposed regulations ends
24 January 2014
Final regulations to Cabinet Office
4 August 2014
Notification in Gazette
14 August 2014
13 September 2014
Cabinet paper release - Patent Regulations 2014
The Cabinet paper for the drafting of the Patent Regulations 2014 is now available to view.
It is anticipated that the patent regulations 2014 will be published in early to mid August.
Transitional provisions – moving to the new law
Moving from the old law will affect both new applications and some applications of patents filed or granted under the 1953 Act. The transitional provisions clarify which law applies to your applications or granted patents.
- Read more about the transitional provisions
- Read Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) on the transitional provisions
IPONZ sought feedback on proposed regulations for the Patents Act 2013 between 11 December 2013 and 24 January 2014.
Submissions were received from (select the name to read the submission)
- AJ Park [216 KB PDF]
- Alan Chadwick [55 KB PDF]
- Baldwins [138 KB PDF]
- Ellis Terry [128 KB PDF]
- Henry Hughes [151 KB PDF]
- James and Wells [235 KB PDF]
- Logan O'Callahan [133 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys (NZIPA) [235 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Law Society (NZLS) [656 KB PDF]
- P L Berry [23 KB PDF]
- Pipers [344 KB PDF]
- ResMed [129 KB PDF]
- The Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia (IPTA) [164 KB PDF]
- Virginia Nichols [104 KB PDF]
- Feedback sought on new patent regulations and fees – 11 December 2013
(closed 24 January 2014)
- Patents Act 2013 - 20 September 2013
- Patents Bill - 29 August 2013