New Zealand plant variety rights journal
The New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal contains information the Commissioner is required by the Plant Variety Rights Act 1987 to publish including notice of every decision to make or decline a grant and all prescribed particulars relating to applications and grants. The Commissioner can also publish any other matters and information relating to plant varieties or plant variety rights in general.
Publication of details of applications and grants constitutes public notification which is required under the Act in order to inform persons who may wish to lodge formal objections.
It is published on a quarterly basis and consists of two sections:
- An online section about applications and grants
- General Information section in pdf format.
The PVR online Journal section consists of nine sections as follows:
Applications for Protection
Variety Denomination Proposals
Applications to change a denomination for a granted variety or a variety under application. Also see section 1.
A) Withdrawal of applications
A voluntary action by the owner to withdraw an application
B) Lapse of Application
A formal action by the Office to end an application
A) PVR granted
B) PVR refused
Changes of owner or designated contact
This includes changes relating to applications and grants
A) PVR Surrender
Voluntary termination of grant by the owner
B) PVR Cancellation
Formal action by the office to end a grant
D) PVR expiry
The formal termination of the prescribed term of a grant
Correction of error
Lists formal and administrational errors corrected by either the system or the Commissioner
Lists all varieties with grant renewed in the last quarter
Accepted denomination change for a granted variety
The General Information section contains:
- Closing dates for applications for certain species
- Developments for PVRO
- Information with respect to international PVR developments e.g. new UPOV member states
- Publication of articles relevant to PVR in New Zealand
- Notices of change to administrative or technical practice.
View the latest Journal
View the latest Plant Variety Rights Journal general information [80 KB PDF].
To view the online section of the Plant Variety Rights Journal:
- From IPONZ’s homepage select the Do it now tab and go to the Do it now page.
- Select View Published Information (Journal). The Search Publications page displays.
- Choose PVR from the Domain field drop down.
- Either select one of the options from the Journal section field drop down, or leave No selection to search all sections.
- Enter dates in the Published fields to search by publication dates.
- Select Search.
The list contains the previous journal publications:
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 138 general information section published 1 July 2014 [118 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 137 general information section published 1 April 2014 [84 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 136 general information section published 3 January 2014 [88 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 135 general information section published 1 October 2013 [105 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 134 general information section published 1 July 2013 [108 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 133 general information section published 2 April 2013 [79 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 132 published 3 January 2013 [84 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 131 published 24 October 2012 [106 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 130 published 14 July 2012 [177 KB PDF]
- New Zealand Plant Variety Rights Journal No. 129 published 14 April 2012 [135 KB PDF]
For earlier publications please see: Archived Plant Variety Rights Journals