Respond to Amendment/Correction Issue
If the Commissioner is not satisfied that a request for amendment/correction of a patent includes information or documentation sufficient to permit a decision to approve or decline the request, the issues concerning the request will be reported in a letter and a response task Respond to Amendment/Correction Issue will be set for the requestor on the amendment/correction case in the case management system.
A two month period will generally be allowed for the applicant to complete the task and rectify the request.
Completing the task:
- Open the task Respond to Amendment/Correction Issue from your task list in your inbox.
- Read the Defects Report.
- Add one or more Objection Response Documents: either Response to amendment/correction or Evidence Documents.
- Add further amended specification and description of amendments proposed documents if necessary, and
- Submit the response.
- Alternatively, select Request a Hearing which will take you to a Request Proceedings – Hearing Requested form.
- Your response will be recorded on the request case for further consideration by the examiner.
Failure to complete task by due date
If the respond to amendment/correction issues task is not completed by the due date (normally a two month period is allowed), then the request for amendment/correction will be declined and the case will be closed, and another request will have to be made if the applicant wishes to affect the amendment.
If a hearing is requested, then no response will be able to be made on the request case Respond to Amendment/Correction Issue task and the request case will be closed.