We help New Zealand and international businesses protect their intellectual property rights in New Zealand.
We examine, grant and register intellectual property rights under:
- the Patents Act 2013,
- the Trade Marks Act 2002,
- the Designs Act 1953, and
- the Plant Variety Rights Act 1987.
We also have a number of operational functions. We:
- process and examine patent, trade mark, design and plant variety right applications,
- implement international agreements,
- conduct dispute hearings about intellectual property registrations/eligibility,
- maintain a register of patent attorneys and information about patent attorney registration and exams,
- contribute to intellectual property rights policy development,
- act as a receiving officer for the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO),
- respond to requests for information,
- provide assistance including information and training to customers, and
- collect application volumes data.