IPONZ is open during the following times:
- 8.30am – 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
- Our online services are available 24/7.
- Our office is closed on public holidays.
We will provide information about our services and try to answer questions you have, but please note we cannot provide legal advice. If you need help determining the best IP strategy for your needs, we recommend talking to a specialist IP attorney.
Remember: IP information is valuable – be careful of what information you share with whom. Any information you share with IPONZ may be subject to release under certain circumstances. Please refer to our Privacy Statement for more information.
Do you have a question for us? You may find the information you need below:
What is the status of my application?
If you are the owner or agent for an application, you may log in to our online case management facility and search the corresponding register for that application. This will allow you to view the current status and details of that application.
You may also visit the My Case Portfolio section of our online case management facility for a list of all applications and cases where you are the active case contact.
If you have filed an application or request, please note that we will need some time to review and consider this. Please see our Timeframes page for a list of expected timeframes for applications and correspondence.
If any action is needed from you on an existing application, a task will be opened in our online case management facility. To see if you have any tasks that are awaiting a response, please log into our online system and check your Inbox.
If you have an agent or legal representative who has filed or is managing your application on your behalf, you should get in touch with that agent for any updates.
For more information on the process we follow whenever you file an application with us, please refer to the respective examination process page:
When can I expect a response on my application?
A list of our expected timeframes for applications and correspondence can be found on our Timeframes page. This page is updated quarterly to reflect current expected timings.
How do I renew my IP registration?
To renew an IP registration that is due for renewal:
- If you have an IPONZ login account: Log in to the IPONZ online case management facility, then select the appropriate IP type from the left-hand menu of your Inbox and renew your registration.
- If you do not have an IPONZ login account: Visit the Manage IP page of this website, then select the “Renew” button under the appropriate section. This will not require you to log into the online case management facility.
You will need the following to renew your IP registration:
- You will need to search for the case number or title of the IP registration you wish to renew.
- You will also need to provide a name and email address to which your receipt can be sent, as well as a payment method (either credit card or internet banking).
Please note that we are only able to accept renewal payments that are made within a specific time period of the due date.
How do I change the details of my application?
You will usually only be able to request for changes on applications where you are the owner or the agent.
Changing the details of an application will depend on the changes you wish to make. For example:
- Changes to contact details: If you wish to update the address or contact details of an entity that owns one or more applications, you will need to update the profile information for that entity. Any changes to this profile information will automatically propagate to all cases under the name of that entity.
- Changes of ownership: If you wish to change the owner (or the agent) for an application, you will need to file a change of ownership (or agency)
- Changes to an application: If you wish to make changes to an application (for example, adding or removing goods and services to a trade mark specification), you will need to file an appropriate amendment request. Please note that you may not necessarily be allowed to make changes to your application, particularly if it has been formally accepted or registered.
For guidance on how to change the details of an IP application you own, please refer to the respective maintenance guides:
I have a question about an examiner’s report or letter
If you wish to discuss a report or letter that you have received from an examiner, you may contact the examiner via the phone number given in the report during business hours.
Please note that examiners are not able to provide business or legal advice. You may still be required to submit a formal response to your examiner via our online case management facility in order for your application to proceed.
You may contact us via phone or email if you have a more specific question. If your query is related to a specific IP application, please be ready to provide its case number or details.
Our phone lines are busiest on Mondays and Tuesdays, so you may wish to send us your query via email on these days, or call us at another time.
We’ll endeavour to respond to written queries within two days of receiving them. However, you may also call us directly if your query is urgent, or if you have a deadline today.
Freephone within New Zealand
0508 447 669
Freephone from Australia
1800 796 338
+64 3 962 2607
New Zealand Relay Services (NZ Relay)
If you're Deaf, hearing-impaired, Deafblind, speech-impaired or a regular phone user, there are service options for you. Try the Users of NZ Relay tool to determine which NZ Relay service best suits your needs.
For some queries, we may request to view your screen using remote assistance. We use a program called GoToAssist, which allows us to view your screen via a secure connection to your computer.
To ensure that we can respond to your query efficiently, please complete the form below. We will aim to respond within two working days. However, during busy periods responses may take up to seven working days. Please contact us via phone if there is an urgent deadline.
You may also send any feedback via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Release of information
Requests for information can be submitted via the online service request form located on our Release of information page.
This page provides guidelines concerning the information that we are able to release, and how OIA requests are managed.
For queries from the media please contact the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) media team at email@example.com or 027 442 2141.
PO Box 9241
15 Stout Street