All fees are in New Zealand Dollars (NZD). The fees listed below do not include GST. GST (15%) applies to all fees where the applicant or requestor is in New Zealand.
IPONZ fees were most recently updated on 13 February 2020. Read about the review of IPONZ fees.
Search and preliminary advice
|Request for search and preliminary advice (per class)||$50|
See search and preliminary advice for more information.
We no longer offer separate “search” or “preliminary advice” reports. Both are now provided in a “search and preliminary advice report”.
|Application for a trade mark (per class)||$100|
|Application for a trade mark (per class). To receive this reduced fee your goods and services specification must use only pre-approved terms||$70|
|Application for a trade mark (per class). To receive this reduced fee your application must be:
|Adding a class to an application (per class). This is only available:
See apply for a trade mark for more information.
|Trade mark registration renewal (per class, every 10 years)||$200|
See renewing a trade mark for more information.
|Notice of opposition by opponent||$350|
|Hearing fee for each party||$850|
See trade mark hearings for more information.
|Application for revocation of registration of trade mark||$350|
|Application for declaration of invalidity of registration||$350|
A refund will only be considered where required or permitted by legislation. The following legislation applies:
- Section 16 of the Trade Marks Act
- Regulation 169 of the Patent Regulations
- Section 47(2) of the Designs Act
- Section 36(2) of the Plant Variety Rights Act
Refunds will not be provided in the following circumstances:
- GST amounts are not eligible as separate refunds from their applicable fees. Where the applicant or requestor is in New Zealand, the Office will assume that GST is payable by the applicant or requestor.
- Refunds will not be processed once a filing has been receipted and work has commenced on the filing.
For more information, please see our Refund Policy.
Refund requests must be in writing and include the following information:
- receipt date
- receipt number
- amount you are requesting be refunded
- reason for refund
- name of person/organisation the refund is to be paid to
If you have paid the fees using our direct debit system, the refund will show as an adjustment on your next direct debit statement.
If you paid the fees by any other payment method your refund will normally be direct credited into your bank account.