If the mark is not renewed by the due date the trade mark will expire and will appear on the trade mark as ‘Expired but restorable’.
A trade mark may be restored up to 1 year after the trade mark registration has gone ‘expired but restorable’ using the same process as a trademark renewal. If the trade mark is not restored within this 1 year period the trade mark will permanently expire.
Renew or restore a trade mark
Renew or restore a trade mark through Renew Trade Mark in our case management facility. The fee for a renewal is NZD $350 per class (excluding GST).
Choose one of the following to get started:
If you're a registered user:
- Log in to our case management facility (button at top right of screen).
- In your Inbox, select Trade Mark and Renew Trade Mark.
- If you’re set up with a direct debit account, you can choose the direct debit option for payment. Otherwise you'll need to pay by credit card or internet banking.
- Include your email address to receive an invoice confirming payment of the renewal fee.
If you're a casual user and don't use the site frequently:
You don’t have to log on to renew your trade mark.
- Go directly to Renew Trade Mark and enter your name and email address.
- Using the search function, select the trade marks you wish to renew. Review the selected cases on screen and select Submit.
- The payment details and options will display. Include your email address to receive an invoice confirming payment of the renewal fee.
Partially renew a trade mark
Our case management facility won't allow trade mark owners to partially renew a trade mark registration. You have two options if you want to do this (in one or more classes):
You can divide a registration, or an expired but restorable mark, when you’re not sure if you want to renew all classes. This allows some of the classes to be renewed and others to have an expired but restorable status.
The request can take up to 15 working days to process. See: Request an amendment, change goods or services, or division of application.
If you don't wish to renew all the classes in the trade mark, use an alteration request to strike out any classes that you don't wish to remain in the trade mark. The classes that are struck out will be cancelled immediately.
The request can take up to 15 working days to process. See: Alter a registered trade mark.
Request a refund
You can request a refund if you’ve renewed the whole trade mark registration by mistake, and only required a partial renewal. For more information, please see our Refund Policy.
Request a class or classes to be deleted by emailing us, and the renewal fees for those classes will be refunded.